Runner with an ankle injury Ankle sprains are the most common injuries sustained during sports activity. In fact, 36% of professional football players at the 2006 National Football Combine reported a history of ankle sprains.

Around 80% of all ankle sprains can be successfully managed by rehabilitation, including bracing and physical therapy. The remaining 20% of patients are believed to continue to suffer from chronic lateral ankle instability.

Sources: The American Journal of Sports Medicine, August 2013; American Journal of Sports Medicine, November 2013